- Reading along with the text for the first half of the program is beneficial. It improves comprehension and lets me see how words are pronounced in French.
- So far, the dialogue in the text stops around halfway through the episode. This is good design. By the time I get to the second half I am already thinking in French, so I can focus all my attention on listening to the language. Listening comprehension is key when acquiring a new language.
- I was thinking in French for hours after watching episode II. Nous allons apprendre le français. Vous allez écouter. Je vais proposer une histoire et vous allez discuter. This is a good sign. My brain is starting to assimilate the language.
- The language is repetitive enough to pick up high frequency vocabulary, yet varied enough to keep my mind focused. Great balance, but maybe a bit too difficult for a true beginner.
- A half-hour (really only ~25 minutes if you ignore the intro/outro) lesson is perfect. My working memory is fried after that.
- The professor is happy all the time. I need to be happier. Fortunately, learning languages makes me happy.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. Please understand that I have experienced all of these books/products and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.